Main Street, Claypole
Although the church is now known as St Peter’s, early Church records refer to St Peter’s and St Paul’s and this is the likely original dedication.
There was a church in the village in Saxon times, probably built from wood. In the Domesday Book, there is a reference to a church and one priest. This original church stood for 150 years and then was replaced by a small church, which over two centuries there were three building phases.
In the 13th century, the church comprised of the first tower stages and a small aisle, within the current pillars and as far as the steps to the chancel.
There was a separate Lady Chapel, erected by Thomas de Sacto Laudo, the South Mediety Rector [1234-1316] close by the Church and this was incorporated into the new building. The three sedilia, south wall door and lancet windows, which are dated 1275 are all found in the modified building dated 50 years later.
In the early 14th century, the nave was built adding the aisles and transepts and another level of the tower, which now houses the clock. A larger Chancel, together with a sacristy were built to replace the existing one. A spire was added to the tower, a south porch was added as well as the nave battlements. The church door is from this phase. The original roofline of the chancel is visible on the east end of the nave. The wooden screen and baptismal font date from this phase. There are five bells in the tower.
St Peter's can seat between 150 and 175.
You can find more information on the graves at St Peter's using the button below;
Friends of St Peter's
Community, History & Faith
The Friends of St Peter's is a community group formed to support the day-to-day running of the church.
From fundraising events, making donations, or helping with maintenance, our community of Friends play a key role in ensuring that we keep St Peter's safe, secure and welcoming for future generations.
If you would like to know more or be involved please click the link below.